The former London’s News and Toys shop has been converted in to flats by IDNL, giving the property a new lease of life.

London’s News and Toys in Hawthorne Grove, Heworth, first opened in East Parade in 1914 by Frederick London, selling cards, toys and stationary, as well as newspapers, magazines and tobacco, and moved to its more familiar location in the early 1930s.

The toy department closed 2014, but management intended to keep the newsagent open. However, 12 months later, an emotional decision was made to bring the shutters down March 2015.